Thursday, December 22, 2011

DJ Frandsen Tournament

Tonight began the DJ Frandsen Memorial Tournament.  The tournament is one of great significance to our school and our program.  The tournament was founded in 2005 and the schools chosen to play in the tournament have a special relationship with the Frandsen family.  I have been a Bellarmine basketball fan forever (keep in mind when I say forever that I'm 16) and I have watched a lot of great players play in the tournament.  Though some really great players have won the Outstanding Player Award like D1 players Peter Pappageorge (Burlingame) and Niyi Harrison (Bellarmine), I have really always watched and admired the Spirit of DJ Award winners.  They have been some really outstanding guys I have looked up to as Bellarmine players like Coach Matt Zuniga, Ricky Bose and Lavon Gray.  A huge deal in our family was when my brother Kyle won the Spirit of DJ Award and that is still prominently displayed in his room.  It is a real honor.  Coach Frandsen and Mrs Frandsen are always so supportive of our team, me, my brother and our family...this must be such an emotional time for them every year at tournament time.

Coach Frandsen, Kyle with his Spirit of DJ Award and MLB Player Kevin Frandsen

The reason it is such an honor is DJ Frandsen lived a life worth honoring.  When I was preparing for our first game I thought about DJ and what I read about him.  I thought this:

Play this tournament in the spirit of DJ.  


DJ and Kevin Frandsen
  • a positive attitude that rubs off on everyone
  • do everything to it's fullest
  • "Go the distance"
  • "Don't give up, Never give up" 
I wish I had had the opportunity to know DJ Frandsen.  We are all very lucky to get to play in his tournament.  I hope people who come to the tournament take the time if they don't know ask who is DJ Frandsen?  If you want to learn a little more read this short article from 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment